Online Homework for Dummies
Type of technology: online iPad or computer
SAMR Model Rating: Depends on the assignment
Grade level: all
Subject area: all
Cost: site dependent
Why online homework?
How Online Homework Supports Student Success:
- Instant Feedback: allow students to reflect on their work while their brains are in a cognitive process of processing information.
- Chance to fix and redo work.
- Video support and hints (tenmarks). Allow a learning process to take place, rather than unsupported independent work.
- Prepare for Smarter Balance testing
- Computer Fluency – Preparing students for the future
- Extensive Data Analysis to see strengths and stretches of each student
- Allow students to use technology that enhances how they learn by doing things that were never possible with pen and paper.
- Collaborative features: Blogging, Google Docs
- Engages students interest and motivation
- Differentiated to work at the pace and level of each child performance ability.
- Saves paper: support the planet!
Having a simple class website also helps students access these homework websites and gives them extra support, such as instructional videos, to be successful. I choose to use the Google sites website that is linked to our district email, as it allows you to embed folders and documents from Google drive. In this way you can make a homework folder and build your homework assignments in Google docs within this folder. Thus allow students access to a homework document online as well as provide links to other websites in which you have assigned to them. Check out 4thgrade.us.to and click the homework link.
On my website I provide a Tutorials section which provides videos to common core concepts for both students and teachers to use. This is an excellent tool that allows students other ways to access the information and allows parents to better support their children as common core conceptual teaching is much different than what many parents are used to. To fully understand these features, please browse my website 4thgrade.us.to. I used a free forwarding address to simplify the address to the students.