SmartSeat app: seating chart extraordinaire…so many practical uses!
Type of technology: mobile app (works with NearPod, too)
SAMR Model Rating: Substitution
You can do all that SmartSeat can do by hand, but this app does it all so much faster and more efficiently, and all in one place: your iPad.
Also, something about seeing their names called randomly on a TV screen turns students into obedient robots. No more blank stares, IDKs or foot dragging when it is their turn to do something. They just do it (and feel special about it – the screen picked them!)
Grade level: Any
Subject area: All
Cost: $4.99, but totally worth it!
Tired of spending hours creating new groupings or seating charts? This does it for you in a pinch!
Want the students to really believe that you are calling on them randomly? They won’t argue with an iPad!
Need a checklist of names? Here is one you don’t have to print out!
Overview: SmartSeat is a very simple seating chart app that will save you time if you like to regroup the student often. It will place the students randomly in the chart, but you can move them yourself, too.
The random student selector can either be mirrored onto the TV screen, or if you are using that, show it by setting your mobile device under a doc cam.
I use this app several times a week. I keep finding new practical uses for it in all sorts of situations. The modes that I use the most are the random scrambler, the random selector, and the attendance mode to keep track of students as they finish a task or hand stuff in.
- Load student names using three options: from e-mail attachment, type in, or copy and paste.
- Option to take photos of your students for the seating chart using the in-app camera function.
- Quiz yourself at the beginning of the year by using the seating chart as a set of flashcards, with or without photos.
- Customize the number of desks in your seating chart, including choosing number of rows and columns, and hiding selected desks.
- Scramble option allows instant creation of new random seating arrangement.
- Drag and drop students to change seating arrangement (even after scrambling).
- Choose how you want your seating chart to look: show student nicknames, full names, or photos plus nickname.
- View, export, and print PDF seating charts with options to include photos and reverse the perspective of the chart. This will allow you to print out a seating chart from the students’ view.
- Automatically keep track of which students have been selected in Random mode.
- Mirror or project the random selecting so the class can see who is chosen in an instant.
- Students marked absent will not be selected in the random mode.
Take attendance visually before putting into Illuminate
- Record attendance by simply tapping on the student to mark Absent, Tardy, or Excused. The default state is Present.
- When you are in attendance mode, students can be turned five different colors when tapped.
- View, export, and print a spreadsheet of class attendance records for a range of dates that you select (up to 1 year).
- Tap on a student to access attendance history, notes, and to load a photo using your mobile device’s photo album or camera.
- Edit attendance records.
- Export student records to e-mail.
- Edit the list of classes to rearrange the order of classes, change the class name, and delete classes, as well as add or delete students.
- Maximum size desk layout is 15×15 for iPhone/iPod touch and 30×30 for iPad.
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, iOS 5.0 or later.